Saturday, April 4, 2009

Theological Lessons From a Four-Year-Old

I love that my oldest is at the age to ponder the things of God. Her child-like faith continually teaches and challenges me. Yesterday on our way home from the store, "G" asked, "Does God laugh when we do silly things?". I told her I think He does; He likes seeing us having a good time. I told her that God is happy and sad, just the way we are. She was surprised at this, but accepted it and locked it into her little head as something new she knows about God now. Then she asked, "Does God get grumpy?"
"No," I immediately replied. But it made me think, and I've been thinking about it ever since.
As Christians, we are called to be "transformed into His likeness" (2 Cor. 3:18). However, how many times do we, with our sinful nature, express characteristics that are definintely not Christ-like? Grumpy, stressed, mad (in a not so righteous way); I could go on and on. God has freed us of the bonds of our sin, and yet it's so easy for us to slip into those actions and thoughts that are nothing like Him. My challenge to you, and myself, is to push away any of those characteristics that are not like Christ and live a life that reflects that it is being "transformed into His likeness"! It's a much better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment