Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dumpster Diving

Do you dumpster dive? This morning I witnessed some people "trashbag treasuring". We don't have dumpsters or even garbage cans in our city; we just set the trashbags by the side of the road. I know, high class.

I don't have a problem with people looking for treasures on the side of the road. I have been known to eye an item or two. It just got me to thinking about what we're throwing away. If our trash had been out yet they would have been in for a treat! Baby girl has been eating well lately!

Really, though, what do you throw away? Do you throw away items that are still usable? Do you throw away items that can be recycled? I believe that God wants us to be good stewards of what He has given us. We're a very affluent people, by the world's standards. Many things we toss would be precious to some abroad.

So I'm going to make a very conscious effort to be a better steward of what God has given us.

1. We will recycle all that we can. We already do a good bit of this, but considering we don't have recyling pickup in our area, (did ya' read the part about not even a trash can?) this takes a little more effort. We do have two recycling drop-offs. I'm going to look for other places I can take things they don't accept. For instance, you can trade in old cell phones with Swagbucks. You can print off a postage-paid mailing label, send it in, and receive swagbucks in return. If you aren't a member, please use my link on the bottom of the page, if you would be so kind!

2. Use something up until it's gone. Also already do this pretty well, but we can do better.

3. Buy second-hand, but only if the item is really needed. Love me some garage sales, but don't want to clutter my house with unnecessary items. Some items you probably don't want to buy second hand include toothbrushes, retainers and deodorant. I'm going to hope you already knew that.

4. Take care of what we have. Regular maintenance on many things will extend their life. For instance, cars run better with regular "checkups", and my husband swears that a vehicle runs better when it's clean.

5. Teach our children how to better take care of their stuff. Make sure that the next generation is aware that God gives us what we have and wants us to be good stewards.

So those are a few steps I'm going to make sure I'm following. Let me know if you ahve any other ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment